If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress View More
My name is Jeffrey Johnson, and I am the President of People First of Boone County. I am a man who has a disability / Mental Illness that I never knew I had until I came to Columbia, Mo. In the year of 1992. I was born in Little Rock, Arkansas and raised in Stuttgart, Ark and Sikeston, Missouri. I lived in Stuttgart until I was about 12 years old. But as a young kid growing up in a small town like Stuttgart was not so good for me. I grew up without having a father around. The only person I had in my life was my mother, she was the one that held the family together made sure that we had food and other things that we needed. Some of the things that really hurt me were that my mother was sick a lot and she could not take care of the family as much as she would have wanted to. So in the year of 1982 my mother passed away. After the passing of my mother my older sister cared for me and the other sibling. I also had mentors in my life. When I graduated fromHigh School I left Siketon, Mo and came to Columbia, Mo to seek work. I went to Advent which is now Job Point in 1992. Now I have a beautiful Family and a job as the Advocacy Specialist at (CMRO) Columbia Missouri Regional Office. The Advocacy Specialist job is to work within the Regional Office on behalf of the Self – Advocate and their family to make sure that they are getting the resources they need, to support people with developmental disabilities and their families within a number of key areas in order to assist them to make informed choices and exercise more control over their lives. The Advocacy Specialist is to Provide Training. on topics such as Abuse and Neglect, Sexuality and Relationships’, Social Capital, Self- Advocacy, Self- Determination, Disability
Awareness, Rights and Responsibilities, and Person Centered Planning. to work with DMH and others to identify training priorities for different target audiences(self – advocates, families, providers, community based provider organization, schools.) I have worked in a federally funded program called Americorps VISTA for three years; one of them was( MOCAN). Missouri Community Advocacy Network. The project was designed to help increase awareness of people with developmental disabilities. The other Americorp VISTA project was working with the (Reentry) which is Boone County Transition Network. I have been highly involved in the community service activites for several years. Some of these
positions I have serviced on are.
1. Commissioner for the Columbia Housing Authority 2004 -2008
2. Vice- President of Destiny of Hope 2001- 2003
3. Board Member of the Mid- Missouri High Steppers of Columbia, Mo.2004-2005
4. Player/Coach for the Missouri Special Olympics program.
5. President: “Blind” Boone Tenant’s Association, 2003-2004.
6. Board Member: Grass Roots Organizer 2004-2005.
7. Human Rights Committee for CMRO 2003-Present
8. Resident Advisory Board Columbia Housing Authority 2003-2005
9. AmeriCorp VISTA 2003 to 2008
10. SIL Board member 2009 to Present
11. People First of Boone County Vice-president 2009 to 2013
12. People First of Boone County President 2014 to Present
13. Employer Incentives for Hiring People with Disabilities 2009.
14. Missouri Mental Health Transformation Eliminating Cultural Disparities Study Group 2010.
15. DMH Real Voices and Real Choices Consumers Conference committee 2008 –Present.
16. SIL Program Committee 2009-Present.
17. Central Missouri Regional Office Utilization Review Committee 2003 to 2009
Certificate and Award:
1. Certificate of Commission from the City of Columbia, Mo. 2004
2. Certificate of Appreciation from the City of Columbia, Mo.2008
3. Certificate of Recognition Outstanding Volunteers from The City of Columbia, Mo. 2001
4. Sharing Our Strengths Mentor Training Certificate Of Completion from UMKC 2004
5. Certificate of Completion of Money Smart from the Columbia Housing Authority 2004
6. Certificate of Completion Abuse and Neglect Prevention Training from DMH 2009
7. AmeriCorps VISTA Certificate of Achievement from 2003 to 2008
8. Certificate of Appreciation of Volunteer Service from the City of Columbia, Mo 2000
9. Certificate of Recognition from Partners in Policymaking from MPCDD 2005
10. Certificate of Appreciation from (CMRO) Center Missouri Regional Office 2014
11. Certificate from the Big 12 Conference from Special Olympics 2002
12. Certificate of Training for ( MOAIDD) Missouri Alliance for Individuals With Disabilities 2003
13. Certificate from (GRO) Grass Roots Organizing 2002
14. Certificate for Community Based Gang Training 2007