If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress View More
Happy New Year! Here’s this month’s selection of What Ifs to stimulate your writing brain. Let’s see what can you do with these! Some are deliberately vague or ambiguous so you can interpret them in different ways.
There’s one for each day of the month. If you need more, please take a look at our book
The Fastest Way to Get Ideas – 4,400 Essential What Ifs for Writers.
NEW for 2017: You can discuss these ideas further in our Facebook group!
1. you worked for a secret government department that rewrote history?
2. our only form of transport was motorised roller skates?
3. the schools in each community were at war with each other?
4. fathers brought up children?
5. you built a time machine that appeared to work, but it took you back to events that had never happened or forward to events that would never happen?
6. humans communicated by singing like birds?
7. students decided what they should be taught in school?
8. you were meant to write a new version of Planet of the Apes but you misheard it as Planet of the Grapes?
9. you were unable to fall in love?
10. you never wrote another word?
11. your guardian angel told you everything you must do and must not do?
12. your guardian angel was an idiot?
13. your guardian angel was at war with someone else’s guardian angel?
14. inanimate objects were thrilled when you used them correctly, but deeply upset when you didn’t?
15. everyone had their own personal alphabet?
16. there was always enough time?
17. you had too much spare time on your hands?
18. you had too much money?
19. you were too intelligent?
20. you were too beautiful or too handsome?
21. your writing was considered ‘too perfect’?
22. you went for a walk and never came back?
23. you did all the things that signs said you were not allowed to do?
24. people recognised each other by their smell alone?
25. everything was free?
26. you sent fake news reports to your local newspaper to make your community sound more interesting than it actually was?
27. you tried to make your community more attractive to a certain type of people?
28. you decided to create a monument that would baffle future generations?
29. you achieved your goal of playing games for a living?
30. you were debating whether or not to bring a child into this world?
31. you were at a TV studio where a (supposedly) real-life show was being filmed, and you discovered the secret scripts?
Become a lifetime member of ideas4writers
and get all 40+ of our ebooks for just £49.95